Tuesday, February 9, 2010




The KIA ad by DAVID & GOLIATH resonated the most with me as far as "intertextuality".
( Intertextuality- refers to understanding and interpretation derived from connecting old and new cultural   text)

More specifically, the ad displayed "vertical intertextuality".
  (Vertical Intertextuality- Connections b/w old and new cultural texts across multiple genres create meaning.)

The ad made me want to hop in a car and go on a roadtrip! I though back to road trips I'd taken with my friends...the best road trips were obviously better when we had a spacious, comfortable car (preferably with
a skylight). The KIA looked like it had all of the above plus, not one, but TWO sky lights.

There was a specific scene when they were walking into the Vegas hotel that looked like it was from a shot of Oceans 11 or THE HANGOVER. This is one example of vertical integration because I associated a movie with the advertisement. Another example was the robot dancing and the mechanical bull (brought me back to some mixers).

Overall, it instilled a FUN vibe and made me want to hop in a KIA and take a roadtrip! This thought that I want to do something in the future (like take a road trip) could be analyzed from the perspective that I was motivated by the Advertisement (which is another example of Vertical Intertextuality).







No comments:

Post a Comment