Sunday, February 28, 2010

Nooka Ad

I told a buddy (at a cocktail party) that I would help him with an ad he was working on. We just met and realized we are in the same Ethics class and had TEMERLIN in common. He told me he was a copywriter... I, not "officially" knowing what my advertising calling is... told him my background as an art major and how I recently switched to advertising. I loved Art, the studio, the people and mostly the messes I got to make. What I didn't like was how subjective it was. Yes, we had assignments and sort of had criteria...but they would rip you apart in the critiques (but sometimes you just had to laugh at yourself and start over). I enjoy painting, drawing, woodwork, silversmithing, welding, ceramics and printmaking for the sake of capturing new ways of looking at things/the world and learning new techniques/skills. I guess you could say I like learning for the sake of learning...but I didn't feel there was much of a purpose for making Art for teachers and having them grade it. It seemed wrong. I could do "Art" on my own. I love waking up and going to all four of my advertising classes each week. I feel like advertising has more of a purpose than just "making art". It's selling, negotiating, tweaking, persuading, creating... times infinite.

Back to the Nooka ad. They didn't end up using my stuff which was fine, I was just glad to (attempt) to help out and get back into a studio like setting. How I miss the bursts of conversation that jump and play with creatives. 

Why miss what's blinding? Start the conversation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment